Our programs include
Web Development + Design
The Kemball Centre basement houses the Kaslo infoNet’s independant fibre network Point of Presence, and KLIC is working on a Community Cloud for our region. The services including open source application development for regional business, government systems and data management. We are looking for professionals who are skilled to manage this type of activity.
Our current Selkirk College partnership includes these courses taught by Board Member Dan Nesbitt. Contact us if you’d like to join!
- Blockchain 101: 2 courses on concepts and 2 courses for those interested in development.
Blockchain Concepts I
- Blockchain historical development
- Bitcoin Overview
- Cryptographic primitives: Hashes (aka cryptographic digests), public key encryption, digital signatures
- Wallets: managing and protecting crypto assets
- Consensus: network models, corruption tolerance, sybil resistance
- Consensus: security, attacks and incentives, Proof of Work (PoW), Proof of Stake (PoS), Proof of Authority (PoA)
- Ethereum: Decentralized Apps, EVM, and the Ethereum blockchain
- Legal aspects and regulation
Blockchain Distributed Application Development I
- Perform Bitcoin transactions using python-bitcoinlib
- Programming in solidity
- Deploying Ethereum smart contracts using web-browser based tools (eg. Remix)
- Developing, testing, deploying Etereum smart contracts using Hardhat
- Creating Ethereum tokens extending Open Zeppelin standard based contracts using Hardhat
Blockchain Concepts II
- Non-fungible tokens
- Composable non-fungible tokens
- Oracles: integrating real world data and event triggers with smart contracts
- Counterfactual instantiation and off-chain data storage
- Scaling the blockchain: payment channels and state channels
- Scaling the blockchain using optimism and using SNARKs
- Privacy: de-anonymizing the blockchain and mixing
- Recursive SNARKs
Blockchain Distributed Application Development II
- Escrow contracts
- Non-fungible tokens: Create a custom NFT by extending Open Zeppelin ERC721 contract
- Composable Non-fungible tokens: Create a custom NFT by extending Open Zeppelin ERC721/ERC1155 contracts as per ERC998 standard
- Oracle integration: Integrate Chainlink data-feeds and secured HTTP GET
- Counterfactual instantiation
- Student defined project
Web Development and UX Design Cohort Fall/Winter 2022-23
Our partner BrainStation has worked with the province to create an opportunity for British Columbian’s to upskill and become Developers or Designers through our digital skills training programs. Thanks to this partnership, there are some upcoming cohorts that could allow you to participate in our tuition-free Web Development and User Experience Design Bootcamp programs. Our Bootcamps are educator-led, taught online live and allow you to learn from the comfort of your home. We focus on interactive Project-Based Learning (outcome focused) so you can get hands-on experience as you go through the program. While you are in the program, our Career Accelerator Program runs at the same time. Which includes a number of professional development workshops as well as 6 months post-bootcamp support to help you land a job as a Web Developer or UX Designer.
If you have thought about becoming a developer or designer, or simply curious to learn more about these career paths and how we could support you, let’s connect!
1. Must be 18 years of age or older.
2. Must be a Resident of British Columbia
3. Must be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or a Protected Person entitled to work in Canada.
4. Must be underemployed (working less than 30 hours a week)
5. If you are receiving Employment Insurance (EI) or Income Assistance (IA) there is an additional form you must submit to the Federal Government in order to enrol in either program.
6. Must not currently, or have previously enrolled in another federal or provincial funded program within the last 12 months
UX Design—an abbreviation of “user experience design”—is the craft of making the user’s experience when interacting with a digital product as effective, efficient, and pleasant as possible: the process of building products with the user in mind. A UX Designer’s work touches the entire end-to-end journey of a user’s interaction with a product, and includes identifying new opportunities for the product and business.
Think of all the websites you have used over the years – Web Developers built those sites, making sure they functioned properly and performed in ways that allowed for a great user experience. Web development is closely related to the job of designing the features and functionality of websites and apps (often called “web design”), but the “web development” term is usually reserved for the actual construction and programming of websites and apps.
Established in 2012, BrainStation is the global leader in digital skills training, and has trained 250,000+ professionals for careers in Technology.
Next Steps If interested in learning more, please email us at email@example.com