Kootenay Lake Innovation Centre (KLIC) is in its third year of operating a Non-Profit Society for Open Source Technology & Creative Coworking Space from the Kemball Building in Kaslo. Our community has the opportunity to blend creativity with business development in a shared space with innovative programs. We accommodate youth, older adults, creatives, non-profits, technologists and entrepreneurs to grow business with a new economy workforce.
Where? Kaslo, but part the Kootenay coworking and innovation centre collective in the region.
What? Creative and digital technology spaces tied together with fibre internet and programs that educate and develop applications for the wealth of the community and environment.
Who? Community Leaders & Sponsor Organizations will support intergenerational programs.
When? 2024 and beyond
Why? Digital Technology is the number 1 industry on earth and BC is a national supercluster. Regenerative business is key to integrate the needs of society with integrity of nature. We need better civic engagement events around these topics and support the creation of affordable living so everyone can focus on, and invest in climate action.
How? We will support the community digital and regenerative transformation with our own application and infrastructure development. These products will replace many of the most used of mainstream proprietary applications and we will create new and major revenue streams for the region. Please read about the LightWeb. We will also attract new entrepreneurs to the smart regions to work with locals into the community. Our civic engagement platform will bring forward solutions to housing, food and resilience.
- We have spent hundreds of volunteer hours so far, and are breaking even with successful programs
- Partnered with Kootenay Association of Science and Technology for startup programs
- Partnered with Coworking BC and regional coworking spaces for operational and marketing support
- Officially recognized as a member of the Canadian Accelerator and Incubator Network representing 100+ top innovation centres
- Listed on an international network of coworking spaces called Deskpass
- Completed 3 summers of weekend music shows with the Langham serving thousands with critical culture
- Fully Funded and Launched the Kootenay Lightweb open source software and datacentre
- We have supported 20 people into new careers with our digital technology program
- We are continuing to write grants and corporate sponsors for programs, infrastructure, operations
- We have letters of support from organizations including Selkirk College and Chamber of Commerce
- Received a grant from the Province of BC of $1 Million Dollars towards building improvements for the Innovation Centre.
- We have moved into room 108 until renovations are complete. Village of Kaslo new CAO and project manager will conduct construction management procurement and the resulting renovation will allow us to retain and support our members.
8 board members
10 partners including The Langham Cultural Center, Selkirk College, Kootenay Associate of Science and Technology, Coworking BC, Canadian Accelerator and Incubator Network, Kaslo infoNet, Chamber of Commerce, Village of Kaslo
Hundreds of people who have attended events at the Kemball and support us in our initiatives
Space + Service Desires
- Community Cloud with computing services including application development for local business
- Comfortable furniture, phone booths, meeting technology, expandable spaces + lounge and kitchen
- KAST Startup: connection to coaches + consultants in technology, marketing, operations etc.
- Living Lab, including real affordable housing for locals and entrepreneurs who need to spend more on their business and less on living. Health, Wellness and Creative Spaces.
- Kootenay OS Programs (below)
- Launch open source software and datacentre program Lightweb and solicit community for support and feedback on next apps to develop
- Monthly community engagement events and technology programs below
- Fine tune business plan with revenue generating product and membership goals for program and operational funding from sponsors
Next Steps If interested in learning more, please email us at email@example.com